The gown is, from what I can tell in my research, in the style of a houppelande.
The pattern says it is from 1420, and my research agrees with this. Roughly the 1300's and 1400's are what
I am finding this style (the houppelande, and also this type of headdress) popular in. This type of high collar was called
This dress was (according to the pattern) supposed to have longer sleeves, about floor-length, but I didn't
like the look. On such a small scale, and with as thick of a fabric I was using for a lining, it wasn't hanging well. So I
turned the sleeve back inside-out and sewed the curve shorter and cut off the excess. (An example of "rigged" solutions.)
It was also, according to the pattern, supposed to have a "dagged" (scalloped) edge around the sleeves, but on this size it
was recommended to be done with felt (because felt can be cut to a shape and not be hemmed), and I didn't like the idea of
using felt on the costume, so I put a thin trim around the inside lining instead. The houppelande did frequently have the
near-floor-length sleeves and dagged edges.
It's hard to tell from the picture, but there is a second dress underneath the houppelande, which is necessary
to complete the costume. It is very simple in style, basically a type of tunic. The pattern used only 2 cuts of fabric;
the sleeves, skirt, and bodice aren't even attached separately.
The headdress is a combination of a bourrelet (padded roll)
and cauls (hairnets). The cauls are little pocket-like constructions with a bit
of netting over them and stuffed with a tiny bit of cotton (a real caul would have been much different, made to actually hold
hair, not simply an illusion). The headdress I have held in place by whipping a few stitches of invisible thread from each
of the cauls under her chin.
The necklace I added, is merely 3 "sead beads" tied on invisible thread and tied behind her neck. Matching
beads were placed on the front of the bodice.